Monday, June 29, 2009

Helm of Heroes


My brother bought me a steel Greek Corinthian style helmet for my birthday. Yea its cool. One thing I noticed having it on is the sea-shore effect, that continual buzz and reverb when you speak, no wonder that later style changes adjusted for ear exposure. My vision wasn't limited too bad at all but the hearing would be awful in battle, maybe it would be better that way except for hearing orders within a Phalanx and adjusting accordingly quickly enough. This standard of ancient fighting has been on my mind a lot this week since I am almost done with Steven Pressfields 'The Virtues of War' great book, lots of stuff I'm gonna have to steal. Its about Alexander the Great and is full of references to other ancient writers and tacticians and just the ever so brief mention of Alexanders one time opponent Memnon of Rhodes forces me to understand why Scott Oden chose him to be the subject of his novel 'Memnon'. I like the experience of wearing a helm myself for the sake of knowing all the little intricacies when it comes to my book 'Heroes of the Fallen' I've fought and been cut, broken bones, and felt the exultation of victory and the bitterness of defeat, it's all good cuz in the end all the bad times can blend and mingle and be of use in the writing of that book that is ultimately your own.

4 comments:

Th. said...

.

It's very cool and reminds me to ask where your top painting comes from.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

That's the one I'm honestly not sure about, Kim VanderHorst http://www.temporaryinsanitybykym.com a friend I met at the LDStorymakers conference designed and put together my blog backgrounds. I asked for a blending of Egyptian and Greek- so that I would have that reformed Egyptian thing going. If it wasn't for her I would still probably have the plain scroll template that blogger offers-So I am very grateful to her to give me a profesional looking blog.

Brian Murphy said...

A Greek helmet for your birthday? Your brother is pretty cool, man. That's an awesome gift.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yeah he's a great brother.