Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cumorah: Poetry Saturday


CUMORAH

The mountains womb is gold, the valley's skin is blood.
A dark spirit whispert, bringing the ax and flood,
sending the wicked and righteous back to the mud.

Satan's on his throne, Record is in the ground.
I light the funeral pyres, until it's time be found,
forgotten but by the worms deep in the mound.

I was in the ruin, I was in the shield wall,
I was there to see father Mormon fall,
but none beside could catch him ere deaths call.

Let come the maelstrom, let come the rain,
wash away the memory o' this place once again.
This time perhaps not at all in vain.

4 comments:

Nichole Giles said...

Did you write that? It's beautiful.

You should enter the League of Utah Writer's poetry contest next year.

Nichole

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yep I wrote it-otherwise I would have credited someone.

I didn't know the League had a poetry contest. Maybe I'll go next year.

Nichole Giles said...

Yep, they do. The poetry awards are given away at the Friday night dinner usually, and the short-story and book awards on Saturday. I've gone for the past three or four years. Depending on the year, it's a pretty good conference. This year's was great.

Great poem.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks again Nichole, I was wondering if poetry saturday was a bust.