Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review: Star Scout Rising-First Trail


Star Scout Rising: First Trail by Gary Darby

This is the first in a trilogy of YA sci-fi adventure. We follow a couple story lines throughout but mainly that of young junior scout Del Baldura and his team-which were my favorite parts.

Del and his team mates are about to begin their final training mission when trouble with interstellar poachers arise-add to that the drama to overcome a bad family name/reputation. (I could have done without that trope-but still) The characters were different and yet easy to relate too. You feel like you are beside Del on his training mission in the jungle.

There was some exposition with other characters far away from the action, both good Starscout Command and bad guys Gadion Faction, some of those scenes tended to take a little longer than I would have liked and risked losing some momentum in the story. But I am also sure Darby is building foundation for things later in the trilogy-I just would have liked them tightened up.

Most of the chapters with Del however, move at a breakneck pace and Darby has captured the magic for ending a chapter and making you want to read on to the next. I had to force myself to put the book down a couple times.
Darby does an excellent job of world/universe building, I loved the little asides sprinkled throughout explaining this detail and that historical precedent. They flowed within the story very well and flavored the storytelling stew. The extraterrestrial creatures also come from a great imagination and add to the wonder of the saga. Love the Garther Ape (see the cover creature)

The ending seemed sudden and wasn't quite as satisfying as I would have liked-but I suppose I am being overly picky and it is a trilogy, so there is still the story continuation happening. Overall, I am sure this is a book my kids will greatly enjoy and I will be more than happy to pass it on to them.

You can order a copy here.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a fitting descendent of the Tom Corbitt series from back in the day.

Gary Darby said...

David, thanks so much for taking time to read and review my first novel. I deeply appreciate your insight and perspective. Your review, among others, are incredibly educational to me and will certainly help me become a better writer. Thanks again and my best to you.

Gary Darby

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Charles-I'll have to keep an eye out for the Tom Corbitt series (I Missed 'em).

Thak you Gary-I look forward to your next installment.