Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Preparing to Blitz

Beginning of the year and time to map and or lament on my goals. I always end up biting off more than I can chew. Still, the blitz is coming.

There are a half dozen short story anthologies I 'd love to be included in with deadlines looming shortly. Would love to do these but I probably ought to pick my battles with the ones I want the most and forget the rest rather than having the dozen beginnings and no endings I have sitting in the files right now. I always wondered why Robert E. Howard had so many great tales that weren't finished and now I understand that a little better.

I have my sequel to Heroes of the Fallen needing to be polished up- people even call my Mom wanting to know if they can get a rough draft-(not gonna happen) Really need to do that-I never, ever, meant to take so long finishing an already finished book.

I also need to polish and decide what I want to do with my exiled Spartan novel Bless the Child, I should have sent it to a copy editor friend months ago but I wanted to clean it up even more before I passed it on-still haven't done it. Really need to do that.

Recently submitted my second chapter of Midnight Sons to UGEEK Magazine-the story went an interesting direction that I never foresaw-but I am happy with it-I think the stuff I had planned on will be coming up in the next chapter-any E-friends who are interested drop me a line I'll send the pdf for the first issue-since it was a local Utah-centric mag. I moved away from Utah right as it went to print so I don't even have any copies of my pulpness-that and I saw that I missed the local CON where the premier issue debuted-with a few interesting guests like comic veteran Wendy Pini (of Elf Quest fame) In my mind she still looks like Red Sonja from Savage Sword of Conan in '76. 

My hopes and prayers for Jason Waltz at Rogue Blades Entertainment-that things will get sorted out and the magnificent books Roar of the Crowd and Challenge: Discovery  that are waiting in the wings will be released in 2012.

More of my weird western short stories with Porter Rockwell are coming, though I'm not sure on any release dates with those anthologies. Same with the Dagan Books antho of weird sci-fi IN-SITU my tale The Dig is coming some time soon this year.

I meant to get most of my S&S gangster fantasy Gods & Robbers done last year and I didn't-we'll go for this year on that account.

And finally a bit of non-fiction (that reads like very exciting/frightening fiction) is absolutely coming but I can't say more on that just yet. But you could check out my friend Douglas Dietrich's site. Just saying.

8 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Good luck with all that blitz!

I'm trying for modest (pragmatic) writing goals this year.

I have my eyes on three shorts for anthology calls, two sword-&-planet tales for fun (and if 'Strange Worlds 2' gets underway, I'll be ready) and a novel. I have a couple of ideas for novels, but I think I know which one I want to run with this year.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Paul, I'll need it.

That's part of my problem, I need to focus on things-finish them-then get on to the next.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Good luck; I'm looking forward to reading some of that. I've got a number of unfinished projects sitting around I need to get wrapped up. And I echo you about Jason Waltz. I also hope things hit an even keel, and he can get those books out, plus Assassins and Challenge: Stealth.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Red Sonya, or maybe even Ghita.

Angie said...

Good luck, David! Get that novel finished.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Keith-yep so many projects so little time.

Very true Aaron.

Angie-much appreciated.

Charles Gramlich said...

So far I've been able to maintain my own writing discipline this year, but the year is young. I'm hoping. Luck with all your projects.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Charles, my discipline has slipped the last few months and its a struggle to get back to the point I was at before the move. Best wishes with all your work this busy time of year.