Wednesday, January 22, 2014

REH 108 Years: A Perfectly CROMulent Birthday

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite writers - Robert E. Howard

He would be 108.
I had forgotten it was his birthday til a moment ago but was actually listening to my audiobook of "People of the Black Circle" whilst taking the kids to school.

Weird Tales Magazine, the original publication of many of his best stories, posted a great tribute with loads of sword swinging art and several of REH's poems this morning  here. 

and a final thought...

I cannot express enough how much moving to LA just barely makes me feel this way ~

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph”
-REH

6 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Yes, Happy Birthday Two-Gun Bob!

May we all meet well at Howard Days some year!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Exactly Paul, I have got to make it one of these days soon, Ive been saying I will for the last 10 years and it has got to happen just to rub shoulders with the sword brothers (and sisters) and show some respect to his pyre.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Yes, you guys do need to make it. It would be nice to sit and chat rather than email and leave comments. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that face to face is more efficient. There's a possibility I might have a family conflict this year, but at this point I think I can make it work. We'll see.

And "People of the Black Circle" is one of my favorites.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Mine too Keith, that's why I was having fun getting the audio for rereads during driving time.

And heck yeah I want to visit in person = good times.

Charles Gramlich said...

Love the "Cromulent." Lol. yes indeed for REH.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I was hoping someone would catch that Charles.