Thursday, November 17, 2016

To Market, To Market, Jiggety Jig


Sure hope I haven't been spamming people too bad lately, but I've discovered the last couple months that simply writing a book, throwing it out there and telling family and friends to buy it only gets you so far.

I typically got the first month release spike and then not too long later the sales flatline, so getting frustrated with the day-job and wanting to transition into ONLY writing I finally started trying to learn something about marketing rather than just hoping my books would just go viral, so I've entered the necessary evil world of marketing.

I've been listening to a variety of fantasy themed author marketing podcasts and reading more and trying to see and understand what more successful people do. And I realize I've been doing it wrong, sitting back never works, so you gotta get out there and tailor things, on the bright side it has paid off.
I got my first #1 last month in western horror for Cold Slither and yesterday (and today) #1 in Ancient Civilizations and the LDS categories for Bless the Child

Granted there are tips and tricks to everything. I've changed up Amazon categories and keywords, I've looked at best release/promotion times and just plain old experimenting too. I have found you need to tailor your promotions, target and work out how these things will come about - its a lot more than I can say in one blog post, but I'm there for you my friends if you ask, anything I can help with, I will.


The other big thing I'm working on is planning for my next big releases which I decided need to be in January so as to avoid the holiday shopping blitz - I didn't want to be screaming into that holiday madness if I could help it. That just gives me more time to polish and prepare. I've also got my mailing list going finally! I'm doing a giveaway ebook for people that sign up here
It's all a start, and I'm getting to that goal even if I still have a long way to go.

And along these lines and for the rest of the weekend my Spartan mercenary Sword and Sandals novel BLESS THE CHILD is free on kindle - It's #1 in Ancient Civilizations and top ten Historical so grab it if you haven't already here!

On top of all this new found knowledge (for me that is) I'm still open to learning everything more I can,
If you have any tips, techniques or questions, lets hear it!

2 comments:

Adventuresfantastic said...

" but I'm there for you my friends if you ask, anything I can help with, I will."

I will hold you to that. I'm working on a short horror collection (~ 4-5 stories), all original works, no trunk stories, that I'm hoping to get out by the end of the year. I'm doing this more to learn how to publish an ebook than for any other reason. Plus just practice writing. When I get ready to put it together, I will probably seek your counsel.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yeah, email me, I've learned a lot in the last couple months.