Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Review: Act of Valor

Tom Clancy presents Act of Valor, screenplay by Kurt Johnstad, novelization by Dick Couch and George Galdorsi

I picked up the book a little over a month ago figuring it would have added insights into a variety of things that movies have to gloss over, unfortunately I was wrong. This falls into that dubious and incredibly microscopic pile of books in which, though I have yet to watch the movie, I have no doubt the movie will be better than book.

There is a nice foreword by Clancy. There are some great action sections and the tone overall doesn't any pull punches on sacrifice-SEALS die. But as far as an enjoyable read goes I hate the style employed-hence why I suspect I'll like the movie more. The book seems to drag in spots explaining the family situation etc and while I am sure this might help the book/movie with a wider audience (see Women) for me, it only made it drag.

Still, I don't want this review to end without my saying how much I respect the Navy SEALS.

4 comments:

Rick said...

Glad you reviewed this. I'm going to see it.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yeah Rick, I want to see the movie, the biggest beef I had was with the super-generic style of the novelization.

Charles Gramlich said...

I saw the reviews for this but something about it seems....propagandious to me. I normally like this kind of movie, though, so I will probably see it.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

You hit the nail on the head Charles.