Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fire and Ice Memorial Weekend

I went to MisCon 26 this last Memorial Weekend. Since it was free for my kids and I was not a guest/panelist (next year MisCon 27 Memorial Weekend) we went as a family.

It took a little bit getting the kids registered friday morning but the staff were a great help and it was cool visiting with the wide variety of folks in line-book dealers, gamers, fencers, steampunkers, and others who just wanted to sample a bit of everything like me.

We visited the Merchants Room first and took a look at the wide collection of books, fantasy items and such-but we had to hurry up to the Great Hall because George R.R. Martin was already speaking (the line had taken a wee bit too long).
It was packed of course. This was the initial meet G.R.R.M. and he discussed writing and influences. This was his first time to Montana and I was surprised to find that this was arranged 3 years in advance!
I have found his blog helpful on my own journey of writing and am a big fan of his Song of Fire and Ice series. I haven't been to too many cons yet, but it was a little funny to me that the Great Hall was small by the standards of what I was used to compared to LTUE, LDStorymakers, and Book Fest. By the time we arrived it was standing room only.

We then went and took some pictures with the Iron Throne. Debi and I have also been enjoying the TV series as well. Its been long enough since I read the books that while I remember my favorite parts (Tyrion) there are still surprises. George wrote the screenplay for this weekends episode 'Blackwater' and it was cool that they set the Iron Throne up in the dungeon for him to sit on, while everyone at the Con got to watch it with the master.

There were a number of activities for kids coloring, tin foil hats=conspiracy!, creature making-which Mathias excelled at of course-and that was quite a bonus for families, so I appreciated that. Debi had the kids while I sat in on some writers meetings.

Darrell K. Sweet had been lined up to be the Artist of Guest of Honor but as you may have heard he passed away only recently. Rob Carlos was the replacement Artist Guest of Honor this year. I had not been familiar with his work. His style reminds me of Rogue Blades Entertainment alum Johnny Perkins.

All in all we had a great time, made a few new friends and just got out of the house for a day. Looking forward to next year.

7 comments:

Adventuresfantastic said...

Sounds like a great weekend.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yeah it was Keith. I need to make it to a few more of these.

Paul R. McNamee said...

Glad you had fun. I haven't been to a con in a long while, but they are enjoyable.

Charles Gramlich said...

Love those kinds of cons. I have a couple of signed books by Martin, none of his most recent ones, though.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Paul, I've been missing out.

Charles, I still need to read A Dance of Dragons myself.

Brian Murphy said...

Dude, you got to sit on the iron throne. awesome!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

It was pretty cool Brian-thanks!