Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Altercation: Book Review

Altercation releases today! It is the sequel to Perilous (review here) by my good friend Tamara Hart Heiner.

Perilous is a thrill-ride, but it left us on a bit of a cliff hanger-the kidnapped girls are safe? but far from home and the bad guys are still out there and after them.

Altercation picks up with this summary: ~  The FBI promises Jacinta Rivera and her friends that they are safe. Jaci wants desperately to believe them but weeks of hiding from their kidnapper, alias "The Hand", have left her wary. Hidden from the public eye in an FBI safe house, Jaci must reconcile both the mysterious disappearance of her father and the murder of her best friend.

A betrayal lands Jaci back in the grasp of The Hand, shattering her ability to trust and leaving her to wonder if she will ever piece together her broken life.


So...without spoiling anything we know the girls are given a temporary reprieve and then right back into the frying pan. New challenges rise and unexpected twists are around every dark corner.

My understanding is that Altercation is the second in a trilogy and as such has some of the issues of  the Second Act. Some of the big mysteries from Perilous are added on and slightly explained but I am still left wanting to know more (as does Jaci the main character). I am especially excited to see more on what the real deal is behind Jaci's father.

I did enjoy the new and expanded characters, and the subtleties about them, (inside jokes perhaps) in fact I probably liked the scenes with Seth and Megan more than some of the ones with Jaci, Sarah and the twins.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more with Jaci's father-the action seemed a bit lighter than in Perilous but that is also my taste = ACTION. I had the mental image of a scene from The Professional but it was just too quick. I don't like the cover-but maybe that's just me-what do you all think? We all know what they say about judging a book by its cover.

While you would not have to read Perilous to appreciate Altercation, I would still recommend picking it up, (I liked it that much I blurbed the back cover!) You can get the paperback for Altercation here or the ebook here. And check out Tamara's blog for her contest as well.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds good. Sounds like the trilogy together will be dynamite.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

That's what I was thinking Charles.