Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns, by Mark Lawrence


I think I first read about this over at Keith West's Adventures Fantastic blog, and it sat in the back of my mind for awhile and I noticed several copies at my local used book store a month ago, but I decided to buy a brand new paperback copy a week ago rather than a trade paperback to get into in my Locke Lamora/Red Seas Under Red Skies withdrawals. Its just handier to read on the plane ride and I don't have to power down the kindle that I got from my girlfriend for my birthday - Thanks Babe.
SO  .  .  .
Prince Jorg, the Prince of Thorns is different, he is nastier and a definite anti-hero but we come to understand why he is the way he is and even side with him in his vengeful cause.
The book is gritty like Abercrombie and GRRM, but I never did feel like Lawrence was too gratuitous or took things too far - we get the idea and that's plenty.

The world building was enchanting and as we learn more we hunger to learn more about the history of the realm, you are in for some good surprises.

I really hate to give away too much, I suspect if you were already thinking maybe on this one, because of its similarities to those other fantasies, you will enjoy this very much. I'll be getting a copy of King of Thorns soon enough.

5 comments:

The Wasp said...

I enjoyed this one a lot. Haven't gotten around to the sequel but am really looking forward to it. I admit to being a sucker for the type of world Lawrence used.

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, sounds very promising. I have seen this one around but haven't gotten a copy. I'll see if I can pick one up.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Thanks for the shout-out, David. I've got King of Thorns on the shelf, but I'm not sure when I can get to it. Emperor of Thorns is supposed to be out soon if it isn't already.

stolgroovy101 said...

So does Unnatural Tales of the Jackelope really have a Porter Rockwell story in it?

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yes it does, my tale "Tangle Crowned Devil" is a weird western starring Porter Rockwell.