Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane, directed by Michael Basset and starring James Purefoy was released everywhere else back in 2009. I've wanted to see it for years and yet avoided watching it on youtube or other possible sites. I guess I just wanted to see it theatrically first - of course it never came to Montana, so I had to wait for DVD, and even that took me longer than it should have but...


I've been a fan of Robert E. Howard's grim puritan avenger for years, I'm sure I like him more than Kull, and I was not disappointed. Great action, atmosphere and all.

As much as I despise pointless origin stories, this one doesn't bug me. Its quick, its easy and its entertaining. There was no wasted effort and pointless pandering on how and why I should understand Kane's motivations. And I have to add that I'm pretty happy with the casting. Purefoy is magnificent in everything from Mark Anthony in ROME to Marshall in Ironclad, so his Kane is perfect. And most of the supporting cast are well played too.

While this movie is outside the REH cannon, I felt like it was reasonably true to the character - certainly more so than the recent Conan movies - and the S&S elements are well done. Listening to Bassett and Purefoy's commentary on the DVD I do hope that sequels happen, I'd love to see a merging of "The Moon of Skulls" and "Hills of the Dead".

Having a rather dim view of film for the last couple years, I enjoyed this one despite its non-cannon material. Here's hoping for more.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

At some point I'll have to see it. Haven't really been following most of the Howard pastiche movies.

Nathan Shumate said...

I was pretty disappointed, actually. Adding a touchy-feely character arc to Kane ("He just wanted to be loved by his father! Is that so wrong?") really didn't mix with the stoicism of the stories; and that giant steampunk golem thing he fought at the end seemed pretty clearly to be a Hollywoodish "Gotta have a BIG ending with BIG things!" dictum. At least he looked right, of course, but I've always been disappointed that a Solomon Kane movie wasn't made back in the '80s, when Lance Henriksen would have been the right age for the part.

Adventuresfantastic said...

I haven't seen this one yet. May try to get to it over the holidays.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I hear you Charles, Nathan, I just want to be positive about what could likely be as good as it gets.

Keith, keep an open mind about it and just enjoy for what it is - a great S&S movie.