Monday, August 2, 2010

Musical Inspirations: Ofra Haza

I draw things together from wide eclectic sources-one of which happened to be the Israeli/Yemenite singer Ofra Haza. I almost had a character in Heroes of the Fallen named Ofra-but that name was deleted for the obvious reason of association with someone else that I had no intention of people thinking of when they read the book. So now you might know whom I envision as a certain characters wife.
I love that wail! I was introduced to Ofra Haza through her guest appearance with the rocking Sisters of Mercy. On the strength of this song alone I went and got the full catalogs of both her artists. Very inspirational music for me, but then I am a writerly weirdo who delights in esoteric rock.

5 comments:

Yamile said...

Her voice reaches to my soul. Incredible.

Kessee said...

I agree wholeheartedly. I base a character in my story on Lisa Gerrard. Love her stuff especially the Dead Can Dance era in her life.

http://thepureblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/rendition.html

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Very cool Yamile.

Kessee-definetly Dead Can Dance are awesome, I have a number of other muscians that inspired characters.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Ofra Haza ... that takes me back 20 years. Here music was making its rounds in the dance-clubs of the day.

Will have to check out her more recent offerings!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Paladin-yeah it was around 20 years ago when I first heard her. The last album of hers I have was the self-titled Ofra Haza of 1997-pretty good stuff from the same producer behind Sarah Brightman.