Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gratitude


I have to remind myself (or have my wife do it) that I am published and to STOP getting bugged that my book isn't out there on the best-seller lists.

I always told friends that I would write EVEN IF I knew it would never be published-well, LO and Behold I did get published and even have a contract for multiple volumes in the series...SO I am beyond what some doubtful friends said-"Oh there isn't a market for what you do."

Guess what?

There IS.

There is a market for what I do and for what near anyone does-there is varying degrees and certainly the marketing/advertising helps but if I stop and think about it I should be damn grateful.
I have accomplished what I set out to do.
I started writing these particular adventure stories for fun back in early 2004-about six years later they are available for anyone who wants to get them.

I used to imagine if they were an underground hit I would be very pleased-veritable modern day pulps-hey I'm awesome. I haven't sold a million copies yet-BUT-if 99% of all the feedback I am getting back is positive--people like what I do. And they aren't even reading it with a flashlight under the covers like I first envisioned.

I have also been reminded by a friend to remind all of you to nominate HEROES OF THE FALLEN, for the Whitney Awards, I am eligible for 2010
Whitney nominations here. Thanks

p.s.s.
I just discovered Heroes of the Fallen is now an e-book for the kindle too (for those so technologically inclined) get it here.

15 comments:

LisaAnn said...

Oh, I'm so excited about the kindle thing! My hubby just got an ipod touch and so I'm going to go buy it!

Thanks for the heads up and congratulations on the success.

Charles Gramlich said...

It's hard when you work so hard on something and it doesn't do as well as you'd hoped. but it's out there and there are always chances. I'm talking about myself here, I think.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Lisa.

I hear you exactly Charles-which is why I have to remind myself that "Hey, I am still living the dream~MY BOOK is out there."

Karen Jones Gowen said...

David, I love your pages! It's so funny to read your blog because you are going through exactly what I went through only about 18 months later. LOL! And I went through it twice! I'm sure I'll go through it all again with my next book.

Debra Erfert said...

You are a very, very talented writer, David. I see the link for the Whitney nominations, and if its the same as last year, you'll need at least five people to send in your book for consideration, so ... all you "Friends of David," or "Fans of the Fallen," get off your duff and link up. Don't depend on the other guy, or girl, to be one of the five.

Whew ... Sorry! Got a little bossy there for a minute.

Angela Perry said...

One of my favorite quotes (I got it from Twitter, and I'm not sure who said it originally): It takes years of work to become an overnight success.

It may not be a NYT best-seller...yet...but you are building a loyal fanbase. I'm one! People like your work, dude.

And I sent in my nomination *looks around at other commenters pointedly*

Ann Best said...

You're doing great! Your book IS selling, and I'm sure will continue to sell. There are SO many books being published. Like you said, you did what you set out to do, and you did it WELL.

I bought a Nook. Sometimes I think I should have bought the Kindle, but I like being able to go in a store and purchase something like this face to face. And since we have a Barnes and Noble in Harrisonburg, well, I did it. But of course I have your wonderful book in hardback so it's okay.

Have a great weekend.
Ann

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Karen-ha-yeah I kinda hope to be at peace with ait a little more and just go through it once-but human nature being what it is...

Debra-"Fans of the Fallen" I like that a lot. Thank you very much for the compliments.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Morgan-Bless YOU

Thank You Ann, I appreciate it-and between you and me I like having the hardback too.

Bruce Durham said...

Visited a certain site ;). Good luck.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate it.

Angie said...

You should be proud of what you have achieved. I oozed with jealousy when I saw David Wolverton mention your book in his Daily Kick in the pants. I mean, I'd die to have that happen! Cool that it's on Kindle now.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Angie, I did have to remind him that he said he would mention it. But I'm grateful he did.

MTeacress said...

It's neat to watch your success. I'm surprised someone said there isn't a market for what you do. Way to show them otherwise!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Michelle, it was more my own worry than anything. "I" never should have worried about what those friends said-they don't know nearly as much as I do about the market because the aren't "doing" it.