Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Some Favorite Halloween Themed Movies

Looking back at my favorite Halloween type movies I am noticing a theme-they weren't blockbusters, but they all carry a depth beyond the usual class of what goes for horror movies these days-a better term as mentioned by Stewart Sternberg would be simply 'shock and gore'. True Horror is a look into the dark side of humanity. These films have something to say, a story to tell.

I have mentioned my love of this film recently, but I still couldn't leave it out of the lineup. If I ever get one of my stories turned into a movie I would want it to be more like this (Action, characterization and wonderful soundtrack) than anything I can think of.

This is the reality of vampires. Not sparkly teens-give me a break. There is no 'Dark Lover' here for your daydreams.

This one is both horrifying and hilarious. Elvis and a black JFK in a rest home fighting a soul-sucking mummy. And as funny as it is, the commentary with Bruce Campbell as 'The King' doing a commentary of the film is EVEN funnier.

9 comments:

Th. said...

.

Only seen the third, but I like it a lot.

Charles Gramlich said...

I do want to see Bubba Ho-tep. Loved the story.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Th-cool. the others aren't as colorful language wise but Shadow has its own funny moments.

Charles-its good, and I must recomend the commentary.

Anonymous said...

I loved that first trailer! Excellent beats!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks L.T., it has a great soundtrack-and the last song "Once" on the soundtrack/closing credits was performed by a local of yours and mine-Felicia Sorenson-check it out if possible.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh man, I wish I had the fortitude for horror. So many people seem to love it. But it stays with me forever and ever, even Evil Dead. Although these look like they aren't like the typical ones like SAW or any of those I just can't stomach. 28 Days Later left me sleepless for a week.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thats exactly what I'm talking about Carolina-these are story based-not gore based. Those I can do without.

Kessee said...

Went to Paranormal Activity 2 last night. I dug it, the ending was a bit anti climactic, but it was solid overall.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Kessee, I've been hearing good things its made me curious, but I still haven't seen the first one.