Friday, October 1, 2010

My Viking & Volcano story in IRON BOUND Magazine


My Viking & Volcano short story Sailing to Valhalla is now available for your reading pleasure. Go check it out, in the very first issue of online fantasy magazine IRON BOUND.

The editor for IRON BOUND, Jesse Dedmon, had this to say about my tale~ "Sailing to Valhalla by David J. West is, I dare to say, probably the one story in this edition that echoes that of traditional folklore. Notions of respect, of fairness, and honor drawn by a race that quickly turns for the worse."
I truly appreciate that Jesse-thank you for the kind words.

Sailing to Valhalla was partly inspired by that unpronounceable volcano that messed up air travel in Europe so bad earlier this year. I remembered reading about the many volcanic islands ringed about Iceland that would chaotically rise and sink out of the deep, so I ran with that, using a character (Tyr) that will see print very soon from Rogue Blades Entertainment in Roar of the Crowd.

In addition, I greatly enjoyed Ty Johnston's Now Behold the Behemoth, a great speculative/religio piece- ya'll know I love those.
AND
James Lecky's Cold Legions brings a frozen fire conclusion to the first issue. Great stuff, now I have to go and finish reading the rest.

17 comments:

Daron D. Fraley said...

Good story, David. Well done.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. Congrats

Paul R. McNamee said...

Sounds like 'Iron Bound' needs to be on my weekend reading list.

Charles Gramlich said...

Good story. Gotta love a little Valhalla action!

Amalia Dillin said...

Great! I am heading over to read it right now! Sounds like my kind of story for sure :)

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Daron

Much appreciated Charles

I need to finish the other tales but I enjoyed it Paul.

Thank you very much Charles, very pleased you liked it.

Amalia-thanks, let me know what you think.

Jason M Waltz said...

Seems Tyr will be accompanied by another of the Iron Bound characters -- Ty's Thuxra -- in the pages of Roar of the Crowd!

Bruce said...

Great read, David. I'm always up for a Viking saga.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Jason-Ty and I were just talking about that last night-I can hardly wait for RotC!

Thanks Bruce, its a time frame/lifestyle that has always fascinated me.

Angela Perry said...

Very nice story! It captures the violence and barbaric nature that I have trouble with in my Viking story.

I'm sure you've read the "Song of the Men's Side" by Rudyard Kipling. Have you ever heard it set to music? That's what was running through my head as I read your story :)

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thank you very much Angela.

I have read a lot of Kipling but not that story-I'm going to go see if I have it in my library.

What music did you hear?

Angie said...

Nice story. Great action. My ancestors are Icelandic, so I'm really a sucker for Viking stories. Congrats on getting it published.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thank you Angie. Glad you liked it.

Brian Murphy said...

I don't know what's more awesome... a magazine called Iron Bound, or the fact that you made the premiere issue. Congrats David.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Brian, much appreciated. I would hope the tale is right up your alley.

Porter Trepanier said...

That was a fantastic story, Dave. I really enjoyed it!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thank's Trep, I'm glad you liked it.