Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Revision and Frazetta


I have a number of stories waiting to be sent out to various prospective markets-some have been previously rejected and some of have only been read by a handful of people-either way, before I send them out I am going to give them another once over or two. Do what I can to make them shine brighter, sharpen the sword blades a bit and let the crimson steam a little hotter.
I don't want to get hung up rewriting everything but let some amount of revision light that fire that inspired the piece in the first place.

Here is a snippet of what David Farland had to say in relation to re-imaginings.

Dave Farland wrote, - "Yet very often, we need to be able to re-imagine a scene. Many professionals may do this on a regular basis. A few years ago, I was at a function in Los Angeles, admiring some of Frank Frazetta’s paintings. I was impressed by the detail and the use of color, and I mentioned to Frank, “You know, these are much better than I remember them from the sixties and seventies.” I pointed out the use of colored washes and lacquers that added depth to the paintings, reinventing the color scheme, and some of the details, and said, “You know, I don’t remember this. Was all of this color lost in the printing process, or have you been working on this?” He smiled, grateful that I had noticed, and said, “Oh, yes, every year or two I’ll think of some way to improve these, and I’ll take out the paints and work on them. I’ll bet that I’ve put months—maybe even a couple of years—into this painting since I did the original.”

It didn’t matter that the paintings had already sold thousands of prints, or that he’d won awards for them. Frank just kept working toward perfection.

I liked his attitude. It makes me want to tear apart an old story and figure out how to make it new."


Here are a couple examples-just in case someone didn't know what a fan of Frazetta I am.



















If you aren't already, I would highly recommend signing up for Dave Farland's Kick in the Pants Newsletter.
Quote used by permission.

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I can never leave anything alone. Well, almost never. I'm currently rewriting some of my horror stories from the early 90s for a collection. I just can't pass over them without changing and honing.

Melissa Cunningham said...

LOVE this art!!!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I hear you Charles.

Thanks Melissa, he is a favorite of mine.

Jennie Bailey said...

I'm having an out of focus day today. I set aside the afternoon to do some editing and everything is getting in the way. Dust was bothering me so I've now dusted AND vacuumed. I removed myself from the living room before I could steam the couch but in the office, I have been perusing blogs. Curses!

Just signed up for David Farland's newsletter. I don't know how I missed that he had one. Have you been invited to one of his live teleconferences yet?

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Jennie-I have, but have yet to actually make it.

Bruce Durham said...

Wow. I had no idea the amount of revising Frazetta did over the years. Like Charles, I just can't leave my material alone. Have to keep tweaking and revising... Gotta go. Gotta do some more editing...

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Keep at it Bruce-I know I am.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

you have some awesome widgets that I'm coming back to your blog to steal whenever I have a book avialable.

and when I read your title, I read "Revision and Fritatta." however you spell it.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Tamara-thanks, I can't wait until I have a couple more books to throw into that-should be very soon for some of the short story anthologies I am in.

Angie said...

That's a neat story about Frazetta. It's great to be always improving. Good luck with your subs. It was fun seeing you on Saturday.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Angie, same here.