Monday, May 9, 2011

Laying the Foundation: Music & Branding

I went to the LDStorymakers Writers conference over the weekend. Had a pretty good time hanging with a number of author friends (too many to list so I won't even try)

When it came to presentations, I stuck to the more advanced ones generally and I did get some great tips/advice/what-have-you. Branding = Perception, I ponder that in relation to being a pro-author and that dreadful place where art must meet marketing. That and it sure didn't hurt talking with a few agents and getting their feedback. Good thing I volunteered to be a time-keeper with pitch sessions. I ended up getting more 1-on-1 time with them than if I had actually had a pitch session.

So I've begun work on the next project after Blood of Our Fathers & Midnight Son's (more on that thus far unmentioned one later)

I like to make soundtracks for my writing projects~here is a quick sampling of the "score" for the next one. (With which I had a modicum of success pitching over the weekend~boo yea!)

Of course I expect this will only make sense to me, anachronistic as it may seem for a medieval/renaissance-level fantasy setting but it is what it is~sets a mood~there ya go.

8 comments:

Angie said...

It was good to see you. Cool that you got some one on one time with the agents! Branding=perception. Thanks for that. I left that particular class feeling like my head had exploded and I didn't understand any of it. That sums it up well, though.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Really Angie? That was the "1" class that really moved me and said I had better get in gear.

Debra Erfert said...

I pretty much loved all my classes, including the Branding=Perception. I totally understood it, but actually putting what I learned into action is a completely different subject.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Debra-yeah I fell I've been a bit scattershot and am still pondering what and how I need to go about creatinga stronger brand myself~heck even Robison told me he felt like a hypocrite about it.

Dan said...

Sounds like a good time, David. If those agents are smart, they'll remember you.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Dan, I think I made a particularly good impression with one.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi David! I so missed out by not going to the conference. I'll need to make it a point to go next year. Ohum....

YA Paranormal Romance Darkspell coming fall of 2011!
Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
www.authorelizabethmueller.com
facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Hey Elizabeth-yes, you did miss out this year.

Hope to see you next time.