Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Season of the Witch

My biggest motivation to see this was Ron Perlman.

Overall I came away saying this was "good" certainly not great but good-actually pretty good if just looked at as a Sword & Sorcery film, considering how dismal so many of them are. It could have used better characterization-but then again the main character was Behmen, Nic Cage, and he played it about the same as he does anything-perhaps the same with Perlman, but I like Perlman and the gruff tough guy thing - I actually buy that from Perlman as opposed to Cage.

Would have been nice if the soundtrack was anything to write home about but it was pretty forgettable-I didn't catch myself trying to see who did the score like I did with Centurion (Ilan Eshkri). But different than Centurion which was a suspenseful historical with a little extra blood splatter and tension; Season of the Witch is a dark fantasy with just a smattering of historicity.

Afterwards my wife asked - "What do you bet Sean Bean's Black Death will be a lot better?"

Dunno - good odds though.

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I will definitely watch this on PPV.

Matthew MacNish said...

I wanted to see this, because it looks pretty good, but I can't stand Nicolas Cage these days.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I think it would be right up your alley Charles.

I feel the same way Matthew.

Angie said...

Thanks for the review. I wish I had more time to go to movies these days.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Heh, Angie I never have time either-its these late night DVD's, I almost never ever make it to a theater.

Lagomorph Rex said...

I seem to remember reading some where, that they filmed pickup shots months later for this.. so it results in Nic Cage's weight fluctuating dramatically during certain scenes..

I've never had the urge to watch it to find out though.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Lagomorph - it was actually a little better than I expected (going in with low expectations that is) It starts a little slow, but by twenty minutes in I was reasonably pleased for what it is.