Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Doorway to Inspiration: Ray Bradbury

"People ask where do you get your ideas. Well right here. All this is my Martian landscape. Somewhere in this room is an African veldt. Just beyond perhaps is a small Illinois town where I grew up. And I'm surrounded on every side by my magicians toyshop. I'll never starve here. I just look around, find what I need, and begin. I'm Ray Bradbury, and this is" The Ray Bradbury Theater. "Well then, right now what shall it be. Out of all this what do I choose to make a story. I never know where the next one will take me. The trip, exactly one half exhilaration, exactly one half terror". ~ Ray Bradbury ~ August 22, 1920 - June 6, 2012

While I generally talk about my fantasy writerly influences Tolkien, Howard, Wagner etc etc; when I really stop and think about it, Ray Bradbury has shaped how I live my life (and work) more so than even they. And it is the above quote that sparked that.

When I was a kid I used to watch the Ray Bradbury Theater on HBO (two seasons 85-86) and every episode opened with Mr. Bradbury in his office narrating that opening before it would launch into whichever story it was. I loved that, I was so taken with that doorway to inspiration.

My grandfather had an eclectic Dr.'s office and Mr. Bradbury's was even more fascinating from the glimpse I saw for maybe thirty seconds and I said, "someday, I'll have that too."

And I am still working on this doorway to inspiration in my own office and I'll never stop. Thank you Mr. Bradbury, Rest In Peace.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

He was a huge influence on my writing as well, particularly when I was starting out. I can see it in that stuff when I go back and look at it. what an amazing talent. he will be missed.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Agreed Charles.