Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In the Garden of Legion, Honey...


"Wheat!" as Porter is apt to shout. The eighth anthology I am to be a part of this year just accepted my story "Garden of Legion".

It is a weird western for the Wandering Weeds anthology. A bizarre collection of ravenous roughage, perilous plants, ballistic bushes...I'll stop now.

Inspiration for Garden of Legion came as I was sitting in church (and why wouldn't it?) So, yes it is that Legion.

A recurring character of mine the gunfighter Porter Rockwell, rides into a dying little mining town, (that I based on Eureka, Utah) named Eden. Lot of biblical resonance. Eerie danger rolls into town as it twists and strangles about on a windy moonlit night.

Very pleased with how much it creeped out my wife.

6 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

"Very pleased with how much it creeped out my wife."

Always a good sign.

Congratulations.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Paul, I love giving my wife my stories and listening to her tell me how different this one is from that one.
Helps me feel rounded.

Brian Murphy said...

Congatulations David, your name is everywhere! Sounds like a great story.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm intrigued by anything to do with "weird western." Congrats. I'll look forward to reading it.

Angie said...

That's awesome, David! You are sure having a great year.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Brian-thats what I'm shooting for.

Much appreciated Charles.

Angie-Thanks I'm sure trying.