Monday, June 13, 2011

Cheatin' Death


I'd like to think that I have had enough brush's with the raggedy ole Grim Reaper that I can keep a cool head or maybe even like the Samurai of old, to be at peace enough with the reality, to accept it head on.

The truth is, these brush's are usually so sudden that you just react in whichever way comes natural to you-whether that's losing control of bodily function or laughing (what I usually do) is up to your own programmed mind.

This last week I was driving down the freeway doing perhaps in excess of the speed limit, perhaps not (I admit to no such thing-wink wink) and with a clank and cuthunk and a crunch there were suddenly no brakes. (Something blew apart inside) My foot hit the floorboards without the slightest resistance.

Moments earlier I had been hemmed in by terrible afternoon traffic (also going at terrific speeds) but now, the way was clear and I was able to maneuver into the median and come safely to a stop.

It could'a been bad, real bad.

But it wasn't and I didn't really think about how bad it could'a been for a few hours. Made me start thinking about all the things I've done in my time that were stupid and dangerous-lots of things I don't even wanna mention in a public forum, but you can use your imagination.

I don't particularly take chances anymore, I'm not a thrill seeker nor do believe in tempting fate (fate being a rather loose term in my book-I don't believe in a fixed fate).

But I do respect that I have cheated death a number of times and will yet draw some superior cards.

And I expect to have a smile on my face when he does finally win his hand.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Glad you're still around - and get those brakes fixed!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

You bet Paul-& get this, it was the company vehicle-not mine. Makes it even better.

Paul R. McNamee said...

I was more cavalier about Death when I was younger.

You would expect, perhaps, as you age to grow more comfortable with the idea but with wife & kids depending on me at this period in my life, it's harder to laugh about.

I fear more for them than myself, honestly.

Too many stories to write before he comes knocking, too. ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Eek, dude. Glad you got out of that OK. driving is scary at the best of times when there is traffic.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Exactly Paul-my dangerous escapades went down in spades once the wife and kids came along.

Thanks Charles, it took awhile to hit me how bad it almost was-perhaps only 30-60 seconds earlier and I could'a been fencing with the angels.

Angie said...

My heart if pounding just thinking about it. I would probably still be shaking if it happened to me. Glad you are okay!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Angie, as I mentioned it took awhile to realize how close I came.