Saturday, June 11, 2011

Robert E. Howard: 75 Years Later



I would have liked to have made it to Cross Plains, Texas this weekend for Robert E. Howard Days but alas it couldn't be done.

This weekend marks 75 years he has been gone-yet I find his writing as magical and enticing as ever. I've always wanted to write, but Howard's work brought a dynamic, raw energy to my literary worldview-something that kicked me into actually sitting down and writing, rather than scribbling illegible notes and just talking about it, as I had for years.

Not only has Howard's prose inspired me but the very nature of his career has as well. He sold a wide variety of stories to lots of different markets during the depression and I ponder the similarities of today's economies and opportunities for writers. We are in a similar yet different age, instead of pulp we have pixels.

I'd count myself well served to have a fraction of the writing legacy and career of the man from Cross Plains.


The one piece truly worthy of Howard's creations in the original Conan movie was the soundtrack, great stuff. If the forthcoming Conan movie has a soundtrack even half as good I'll be impressed.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I had originally planned to be in Cross Plains for REH days, but after our long trip out west I didn't feel I could face another long drive. I'm missing it though. It's happening today.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Yeah, I really wanted to be there too, but finances being what they are...
Perhaps next year. I will make the pilgrimage one of these days.

Bruce Durham said...

I KNOW I'm missing out on something important. Wish I could have made it.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I hear ya Bruce.